Mouli and I are building Wrightsville Port for nearly 8 years now. In fact before even we started with the layout we started building the ships and the cranes and other structures that we needed – so going on almost 10 years! And all this while we had a lot going on – we moved to 6 different homes in 2 different cities that are about 1000 miles apart, but thanks to the robust build and modular design of the layout, we were able to dismantle every little component properly and reassemble again in the new home. But yes, this last time I realized that just like its creators, being ‘on the wheel’ is taking its toll on this little less than 18 sq. ft. layout. This time I had to spend a considerable amount of time reworking on some wiring, and there are two tracks that have been completely dead and I am unable to figure out what is wrong since all my ‘junction boxes’ and ‘inspection pits’ show that there is no issue. Anyway, the layout still stands strong in most part and that itself is very satisfying.
The layout can be considered mostly complete. There are basically 3 major structures remaining – the old coal handling facility, the boat yard and the dock shed for temporary freight handling.Apart from that I want to make some smaller structures and details like a diner and a parking lot. These should be exciting builds and hopefully will be very enjoyable.
But before I jump to that, at this moment I am spending time to perfect some of the existing items and focusing on my new passion – weathering! So, the goal is to make things rusty and dirty and disgusting. So this week, I started converting the only factory building into an abandoned factory.
I discovered a product called ‘Scenic Rust’ and this is my first attempt with it and boy isn’t that thing special! The rust effect is brilliant with this product and soon I intend to do a detailed video of how this can be used. I also took help of the more conventional route of simply using Raw Sienna and Burnt Umber acrylic paints. Here is what everything looks at the moment:
I have also spent time in bringing more details on the waterline by adding the shades of yellow and brown to show drying and dried moss and algae. The chain link fence and the barbed wire on top received some weathering too to suit the environment.
Next I will convert the heavily weathered old factory to a truly abandoned factory – stay tuned for more details.